Thursday, July 17, 2014

The start of a month in Europe and last week's training

I made it to Europe successfully, although I must say I'm having a harder time than usual getting over my jetlag. I left Portland Monday, arrived in Prague on Tuesday, and then hopped on a flight to Dusseldorf on Thursday morning. From Dusseldorf I made the short trip to Nijmegen, Netherlands where my management company (Global Sports Communication) has their offices and training facility. I'll be spending the next couple of days here before my 5km in Heusden, Belgium on Saturday. The travel has left me completely exhausted, but I still have a couple days of easy training to bounce back, and that is plenty of time. The training facility in Nijmegen has access to amazing trails, a track, and a full kitchen; it's everything I need to help myself recover. It's not often that I am able to cook for myself the days leading up to a big race, so it is a nice bonus. As for race day, I'm simply looking for a big PR. The heats will be quite full, it looks like it will be hot, and the pacing is still unknown, so it is difficult to put an exact time goal out there. I think I am in sub-13:20 shape, but we will see if Saturday will be the place to make it happen.

I'm enjoying the short track season in between marathon build-ups, and there will only be a couple races left. After the Heusden 5km this weekend it looks likely that I will be running a Gold Label 10km called Giro di Castelbuono in Palmero, Italy that following weekend. This will give me plenty of time to rest before starting a big fall marathon build-up which will start in Flagstaff in the middle of August. This means I will be flying back to Portland for 2 days to repack, and then head to Arizona. It's going to be a challenging but exciting couple of months.

Last week's training was not particularly interesting as we did only one workout, but it is below if you'd like to take a look. We have cut back on the workouts since the 10km at the USATF Champs in order to keep the legs fresh for the remainder of the short season. Thanks again for reading, and I look forward to posting again next week after the race. Feel free to follow me here on twitter for more updates.

Week 13 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 10 5 40 minutes 15





Tuesday 10 + 6 x 150 meters 5
15





Wednesday 5 5
10





Thursday 6.5 6 x 200 meters @ 29 w/200 meter recovery, straight into 2km @ (69, 67, 64, 63, 60), 300 (45), 200 (28), 100 (14) w/1 min recovery
15





Friday 10 5 30 minutes 15





Saturday 5 + drills and strides off
5





Sunday 14 off
14





TOTAL


89

No comments:

Post a Comment