Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Days from the USA Outdoor Championships: Last Week's Training

I am preparing to head to Sacramento today for the start of the USA Outdoor Championships. It will be my first 10,000 meter race since the USA Championships last year in Des Moines. While it will be hot in Sacramento, the 10km does not start until after 9:00 PM, and it will cool to a more reasonable temperature as the sun goes down, unlike Des Moines where humidity keeps temperatures high all through the night.

My first trip to Sacramento was for the Golden West Invitational back in 2003 as a high school athlete. Getting there a couple of days early, we were able to watch the end of the NCAA Championships. Those two days were a rare glimpse of running outside my home state (or even home conference) and solidified my desire to compete at the Division 1 level. This will also be my first race back at Hornet Stadium since the 2006 and 2007 NCAA Outdoor Championships. Qualifying for those meets and watching the older guys do incredible things (Chris Solinsky closing in 4:00 for his last mile in the 5km to pull away with the title for example) drove me to take my running to the next level. Rather than being excited to simply qualify for the meet, I wanted to be an All-American and shoot for a national title. Returning after 7 years, I'll be one of the veterans this time, and hopefully our 10km race will inspire younger athletes the same it did me.

I'll be trying out another twitter contest looking to drum up some excitement heading into the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships. Anyone who retweets the contest tweet and follows me will be entered to win the pair of Brooks Wire 3 spikes that I'll be wearing during the race. For those who can't be in the stands in Sacramento, check out the live feed for all events here.

Feel free to check out last week's training below. The workouts and volume have really tapered off since the Portland Track Festival from the previous week, so I'm hoping to feel mentally and physically fresh heading into Thursday's race. Thanks again for reading and follow me here on Twitter for more updates.

Week 10 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 90 minutes off 40 minutes 14





Tuesday 9 + drills and strides 5
14





Wednesday 4 4 mile tempo (18:37) + 4 x 200 (29.1, 29.0, 28.5, 27.3)
14





Thursday 6
40 minutes 6





Friday 10 + 6 x 150 5
15





Saturday 10 4 30 minutes 14





Sunday 5 x 1k @ 2:57 + 4 x 200 @ 30 off
11





TOTAL


88

2 comments:

  1. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. military boots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free to check out last week's training below. The workouts and volume have really tapered off since the Portland Track Festival from the previous week, so I'm hoping to feel mentally and physically fresh heading into Thursday's race. Thanks again for reading and follow me here on Twitter for more updates.
    plain velvet bed sheet
    velvet single bed sheets

    ReplyDelete