Wednesday, September 11, 2013

8 Weeks to ING New York Marathon: Last Week's Training

One week closer to New York, and another solid training week under my belt. The mileage came back down to 135 this week but will shoot back up to 150 again next week. I'm still working on a half-marathon tune-up race for the weekend of October 6th, and there are a few good options. Hopefully I will have it finalized very soon. 

I had two solid workouts during the week, starting with 7 x 1 mile. It was run again on a net uphill course with a jog recovery. Closing in 4:24 was a big effort, but it is a good indicator of fitness. I think it's good to mix in some of these faster workouts with the marathon training as to not get stuck in a pace rut over the course of 14 weeks. Sunday was 23 miles total with the warm-up, 4-mile tempo, 10-mile run, 3-mile tempo, and cool down. I was pleased to be able to hold 71.0 for the 3-mile tempo, which were miles 17 to 20 for the day. The tempos are done on the track, so it really forces me to focus when my legs are already fatigued. I'm checking each 400 meter split, so there is no chance to zone out or lose concentration. The next time I do this workout it will be with two 4-mile tempo runs. Thanks again for reading, and I'll post again next week. 

Week 6 AM PM Strength/Drills Mileage
Monday 75 minute run followed by 8 x 200 meter hills 6 40 minutes core 20
Tuesday 13 6
19
Wednesday 7 x mile, starting 4:46 and ending 4:24. 3 minutes rest 5 1 hour 20
Thursday 16 off
16
Friday 75 minute run followed by 8 x 200 meter hills 5
18.5
Saturday 9.5 9 30 minutes core 18.5
Sunday 4 mile tempo in 19:06, 10 mile run in 58:00, 3 mile tempo in 14:12 off
23
TOTAL


135

2 comments:

  1. I found the best workouts on the UBQFIT app. They have experienced trainers that take you through fun fitness drills with beachbody pre workout. Who needs the gym when you can workout right at home with the best trainers.

    ReplyDelete